Ready to Join?
Create an account on the MyASA Member Portal, select the membership that works best for you, process your payment, and start enjoying your benefits immediately. It’s that easy!
To Become A Member or Renew your Membership enter the MyASA Portal
To purchase a member for someone else, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and include the recipient’s full name and email address.
Individual Benefits of ASA Membership
As a member of the African Studies Association (ASA), you will join leading scholars and practitioners in a wide variety of disciplines. You will have the opportunity to network and exchange knowledge with an impressive network of academic scholars and researchers on Africa. ASA members enjoy many benefits, including:
• Discounted ASA Annual Meeting registration fee
• Gratis print and digital subscription to African Studies Review (ASR), to be requested no later than October 31
• Gratis digital subscription to History in Africa (HIA), an annual journal
• Discounted print subscription to History in Africa (add by May 15 at checkout for +$56)
• Access to job postings and professional development opportunities
• Access to regular, Members-Only virtual events
• Listing in the ASA Specialist Directory (once profile is filled out)
• Listing in the ASA Online Membership Directory, with personal contact information for members who have opted in
• Eligibility to win the ASA’s Advocacy Travel Award
• Eligibility to vote to elect officers and members of the Board of Directors
• Eligibility to serve on ASA Committees
• Eligibility to nominate individuals for the Distinguished Africanist Award
• Eligibility to nominate ASA Presidential Fellows
• Digital subscription to the ASA biannual newsletter, print upon request (domestic shipping only)
• Individual announcements via the ASA News biannual newsletter
• Increased networking opportunities
Institutional Membership Benefits:
All of the benefits below will begin January 1, and will conclude Dec 31 each year.
• Up to 10 individual memberships, with a requirement that 50% of those support Emerging Scholars.** All memberships will receive full ASA individual benefits.
Institutional Specific Benefits Include:
• Automatic membership to the Association of African Studies Programs (AASP)
• Visiting Scholars: First right of refusal to host an ASA Presidential Fellow
• A right to first proposal for topics/scholars to lead digital AfricaNow sessions throughout the year, hosted and promoted by the ASA
• Listing in ASA Institutional Members Guide
• Two gratis job postings per calendar year
• One gratis banner ad on the ASA Website (during any quarter of the Institution’s choosing)
• 25% Discount on Full Page Annual Meeting Program ads (booth packages excluded)
• Gratis print subscription to the biannual ASA Newsletter (single US address must be provided)
• Institutional Updates and Announcements via digital network
**If your organization does not have emerging scholars (which the ASA defines as in pursuit of one’s terminal degree, or within five years post completion), the institutional membership may be applied to relevant junior team members, visiting scholars, or other affiliates at the discretion of the organization.
African Studies Association membership is open to scholars, students and practitioners from around the world, who have an interest in Africa. ASA membership is valid from January 1 – December 31 for the year in which it was purchased.
Institutional Membership $2500.00
Lifetime Membership $5000.00
Individual Membership (Income equivalent to $50,000 and above) $180.00
Individual Membership (Income equivalent to $49,999 and below) $115.00
Retiree Membership $100.00
Student Membership (must send copy of valid ID) $70.00
Individual K-12 Teacher Membership (must send copy of valid ID) $50
Add a print subscription to History in Africa for any membership +$56.00
Emerging Scholars at African Institutions Membership (must send copy of valid ID) $5.00
Please note: the ASA defines “emerging scholar” as in pursuit of one’s terminal degree, or within five years post completion.
Please contact email@example.com for general questions about the ASA and its activities, including membership inquiries.