Established in 1957, we are the flagship membership organization devoted to enhancing the exchange of information about Africa. With approximately 2,000 individual and institutional members worldwide, we encourage the production and dissemination of knowledge about Africa, past and present. Our community is comprised of scholars, students, and practitioners located across the world, who are unified in their interest in Africa. Together we have built a special space for inter-disciplinary exchange; a place where you’re just as likely to engage a historian as you are a diplomat or civil engineer.
You can join the ASA as an individual member or institutional member, and opt to be a part of one of our many Coordinate Organizations that represent your specific interests in the field. Welcome to the ASA.
Benefits of ASA Membership
As a member of the African Studies Association (ASA), you will join leading scholars and practitioners in a wide variety of disciplines. You will have the opportunity to network and exchange knowledge with an impressive network of academic scholars and researchers on Africa. ASA members enjoy many benefits, including:
• Discounted ASA Annual Meeting registration fee
- Centres and departments in academic institutions (both in the United States and globally), with an interest in the study of Africa.
- Embassies and/or consulates, representing countries in Africa
- Bilateral organizations, think-tanks and NGO’s with a scholarly interest in Africa
- Regional organizations in Africa
- Intergovernmental institutions
- United States Government agencies
- Funding agencies with an interest in supporting the development Africa
• Gratis print and digital subscription to African Studies Review (ASR), to be requested no later than October 31
• Gratis digital subscription to History in Africa (HIA), an annual journal
• Discounted print subscription to History in Africa (add by May 15 at checkout for +$56)
• Access to job postings and professional development opportunities
• Access to regular, Members-Only virtual events
• Listing in the ASA Online Membership Directory, with personal contact information for members who have opted in
• Eligibility to win the ASA’s Advocacy Travel Award
• Eligibility to vote to elect officers and members of the Board of Directors
• Eligibility to serve on ASA Committees
• Eligibility to nominate individuals for the Distinguished Africanist Award
• Eligibility to nominate ASA Presidential Fellows
• Digital subscription to the ASA biannual newsletter, print upon request (domestic shipping only)
• Individual announcements via the ASA News biannual newsletter
• Increased networking opportunities
Institutional Membership $2500.00
Lifetime Membership $5000.00
Individual Membership (Income equivalent to $50,000 and above) $180.00
Individual Membership (Income equivalent to $49,999 and below) $115.00
Retiree Membership $100.00
Student Membership (must send copy of valid ID) $70.00
Individual K-12 Teacher Membership (must send copy of valid ID) $50
Add a print subscription to History in Africa for any membership +$50.00
Emerging Scholars at African Institutions Membership (must send copy of valid ID) $5.00
Please note: the ASA defines “emerging scholar” as in pursuit of one’s terminal degree, or within five years post completion.
Institutional Membership is designed for:
All of the benefits below will begin January 1, and will conclude Dec 31 each year.
• Up to 10 individual memberships, with a requirement that 50% of those support Emerging Scholars.* All memberships will receive full ASA individual benefits.
Institutional Specific Benefits Include:
• Automatic membership to the Association of African Studies Programs (AASP)
• Visiting Scholars: First right of refusal to host an ASA Presidential Fellow
• A right to first proposal for topics/scholars to lead digital AfricaNow sessions throughout the year, hosted and promoted by the ASA
• Listing in ASA Institutional Members Guide
• Two gratis job postings per calendar year
• One gratis banner ad on the ASA Website (during any quarter of the Institution’s choosing)
• 25% Discount on Full Page Annual Meeting Program ads (booth packages excluded)
• Gratis print subscription to the biannual ASA Newsletter (single US address must be provided)
• Institutional Updates and Announcements via digital network
If your institution is interested, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.