San Diego Community College District
Closing Date: 10/13/2023
Position Number: 003410
Location: San Diego City College
Position Type: Academic
Applications are now being accepted for the position of Assistant Professor, Black Studies at San Diego City College beginning Fall 2023. One of three credit colleges in the San Diego Community College District, City College is an urban campus, minutes away from a world-class zoo and Balboa Park, providing academic and career-technical offerings to meet the needs of a diverse student population.
While the current vacancy is at City College, applicants should understand that they are subject to assignment at any District facility at the option of the Chancellor. The assignment may include day, evening, online, Saturday, and/or off-campus classes
The Assistant Professor of Black Studies is a member of the Black Studies Department and reports to the Dean of the School of Behavioral and Social Sciences, and Consumer and Family Studies.
Primary responsibilities for the new Black Studies faculty member are teaching: Courses may include Introduction to Black Studies, Sociology from a Black Perspective, History of the United States from the Black Perspectives, and other courses, as assigned, within the Black Studies curriculum.
The assignment will be 15 class hours per week. Additional responsibilities of San Diego City College faculty include maintaining regular office hours for student advisement, serving on college and District committees, participating in various departmental and college activities, developing curriculum and programs, and willingness to take on leadership roles in the department.
• Master’s degree in African-American/Black/Africana Studies; OR
• Bachelor’s degree in African-American/Black/Africana Studies AND master’s degree in Ethnic Studies; OR
• The Equivalent.
• Demonstrated knowledge, understanding, and ability to articulate the scope and mission of Black/Africana Studies in higher education.
• Additional graduate and/or undergraduate coursework and/or experience in Black Sociology and Black Politics within the discipline of Black/Africana Studies.
• Additional graduate and/or undergraduate coursework and/or experience in Gender/Women’s studies within the discipline of Black/Africana Studies with a focus on the experiences and contributions of Black women in the global pursuit of social justice.
• Recent community college teaching and academic preparation to teach Black/Africana Studies classes, incorporating rigorous academic standards, including critical thinking and problem-solving techniques.
• Recent experience and/or demonstrated ability in teaching courses on Black Sociology and Black Politics.
• Evidence of involvement within the African diaspora community.
• Recent experience in online distance learning.
• Campus community service and outreach and/or community relations experience, including involvement with student clubs and organizations (such as Black Student Union and UMOJA).
• Evidence of effective oral communication and writing ability.
• Evidence of recent experience in Black/Africana Studies curriculum development.
• Assisting in the development of additional curricula in Africana/Black/African American Studies that can be used to meet the new California State University Area F requirement and the CCC Ethnic Studies Graduation requirement.
• Demonstrated understanding of familiarity with the San Diego City College mission, vision, and campus community.
• Demonstrated experience and/or knowledge in working with students of great diversity in socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds, including those with different levels of academic preparation and varying physical and learning abilities.
Class 1, Step A – Class 6, Step C ($6,301.36 – $8,490.72) per month based on the current AFT – COLLEGE Faculty Monthly Salary Schedule.
Initial salary placement for this Assistant Professor is commensurate with required education and related teaching experience as outlined in section A2.1 and A2.2 of the AFT Faculty Collective Bargaining Agreement and it is non-negotiable.
The District offers a comprehensive fringe benefit package including employer-paid medical, dental, vision plans, sick leave, and opportunities for professional development. This position is FLSA Exempt and may not accrue overtime. Benefits will be provided under the terms of the AFT-Guild, Local 1931 – Faculty Collective Bargaining Agreement. Annual Salaries will be recalculated for service less than a full academic year based on Education Code §87815, any required adjustment will be made with-in the first pay period. Travel reimbursement for interviewees traveling more than 200 miles, one-way, may be paid according to geographic location (see SDCCD Travel Stipend Policy, Rev 7/14/2011). The SDCCD Employment Web Page provides a link to employee collective bargaining agreements and handbooks, and more information about terms and conditions of employment to include salary and benefits.
To apply, visit: https://apptrkr.com/4453186
All applicants must have demonstrated cultural competency and sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students and staff.
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.