Celebrate 60 Years of the African Studies Association!
Give $60 or $600 for the 60th Anniversary!
The 60th Anniversary Campaign Fund will support strategic initiatives that are critical to the ASA’s mission and which expand the impact and reach of the Association. Funds will be earmarked for new activities in the priority areas identified in the ASA’s strategic plan.
Your donation to the 60th Anniversary Campaign Fund will support the following initiatives:
1) Expansion of the ASA Presidential Fellows program, with a goal of doubling the number of scholars based in African institutions that we are able to support to attend the ASA Annual Meeting
2) Funding for initiatives of the Emerging Scholars Network, including professional development opportunities
3) Conferences and events in Africa – The 50th Anniversary Fund provided $20,000 in travel support for Emerging Scholars to attend the first ever ASA meeting on the continent, a joint ASA/American Anthropological Association (AAA) conference held in Dakar, Senegal, in June 2016.
4) Expansion of the ASA Advocacy programs to ensure the ASA is leveraging its position as the flagship learned society in African Studies to raise awareness about African Studies, African Issues, and international education and funding on a broad level
5) Small grants program for ASA Coordinate Organizations
Follow the ASA’s progress as we work to reach our goal of raising $100,000 in honor of 60 years of the ASA!
You can also donate to other ASA awards, prizes, and activities.
Your donations will go a long way in supporting a variety of activities, including the following:
Promoting Exchanges with Africa
The Presidential Scholars Program awards promising scholars based in Africa with a grant which enables them to attend the ASA annual meeting.
Promoting Excellence in African Studies
You may contribute to any of the following prizes and/or awards:
Melville J. Herskovits Book Award
Distinguished Africanist Award
Paul Hair Prize
Conover Porter Award
Graduate Student Paper Prize
African Studies Review “State of the Art” Lecture
Bashorun M.K.O. Abiola Lecture
Support African Libraries and Schools
As a 501(c)(3) organization, contributions to the ASA are tax deductible. The Endowment Fund supports ongoing initiatives, recognizing excellence in the field and providing for outreach services and general support. Every contribution is important and every donation counts.
You can donate online via our Donation Form.
If you’d prefer to pay by mail please complete the Donation Form and mail it to the ASA offices, along with your donation. Donation Form and mail it to the ASA offices, along with your donation.
For more information about contributing to the ASA, please contact the Executive Director at [email protected].
On behalf of the ASA Board of Directors, the entire membership, and the Secretariat, sincere appreciation is extended to everyone who, this year, committed to the African Studies Association through a donation to the ASA Endowment Fund. Each contribution is gratefully accepted as an affirmation that ASA is an organization worthy of a financial contribution.