We would like to invite scholars who plan to attend the annual meeting of the African Studies Association in San Diego, CA (19-22 November) to submit abstracts of no more than 200 words for a panel provisionally entitled, “Uneven Battlefields: Civil-Military Relations in Precolonial Africa.” We invite scholars from all disciplinary backgrounds to submit abstracts.
Possible topics include but are not limited to the following:
• Precolonial interstate conflicts
• Social, political, and economic effects of military service on the lives of African soldiers
• Jihadist and/or insurgent mobilization against African polities
• Evolutions in weaponry and military tactics
• Military culture and the organization of indigenous forces
Please note that all final panel members must be current members of the ASA in order for the panel to be considered. If the panel is accepted, all presenters must pre-register for the conference by May 15th.