AfricaNow! Call for Proposals
The African Studies Association (ASA) is excited to continue our AfricaNow! format to accommodate emerging issues on our Annual Meeting program. These sessions will feature late-breaking issues and new work presented in a casual format.
Sessions can be proposed as group discussions (maximum of five presenters), individual presentations, or memorials. Please ensure that your AfricaNow! proposal meets the following criteria:
• Proposals must relate in some way to current events on Africa and/or African Studies.
• All AfricaNow! organizers and presenters must register for the Annual Meeting in MyASA prior to submission.
Suggested Topics for 2022 are (but not limited to):
• Developments in Ethiopia, Mali, Somalia, etc.
• Reproductive Rights
• New US-Africa Policies and Implementation
• UK-Rwanda Asylum Agreement
• African Nations Championship & World Cup Countdown
• Africa and the Russia-Ukraine War
• Literary Analysis: Vagabonds!: A Novel, Patience Is a Subtle Thief, Content Warning: Everything, etc.
• All 2022 Memorials
Please prepare a (1) basic title, (2) an abstract that describes the session and confirms its timeliness, (3) the format, and, (4) the names and affiliations of each presenter. We will do our best to accommodate time preferences as requested.
AfricaNow! sessions will not be peer-reviewed and submissions of formal panels and papers will not be accepted in this format. The participation rules do not apply to AfricaNow! sessions. Presenters who are already on the program may submit proposals. Abstracts that were already submitted prior to the submission deadline cannot be resubmitted for AfricaNow! consideration. All requests for sessions will be reviewed by the ASA Secretariat for general appropriateness.
The AfricaNow! submission portal via OpenWater is now OPEN HERE. The submission portal will close Sunday, September 11 at 11:59pm Eastern.