AfricaNow! Call for Proposals
The African Studies Association (ASA) is excited to continue our AfricaNow! format to accommodate emerging issues on our Annual Meeting program. These sessions will feature late-breaking issues that emerged subsequent to the close of the ASA CFP.
Sessions can be proposed as group discussions (maximum of five presenters), individual presentations, or memorials. Please ensure that your AfricaNow! proposal meets the following criteria:
• Proposals must relate directly to current events on Africa and/or African Studies.
• All AfricaNow! organizers and presenters must register for the Annual Meeting when notified of acceptance.
Suggested Topics for 2021 were (but not limited to):
• Developments in Ethiopia, Chad, Eswatini, South Africa, etc.
• TikTok, WitchTok, Internet Rituals, & Black Lives Matter
• COVID Vaccination
• The 2021 Olympics
• Literary Analysis: We Are All Birds of Uganda, Black Sunday: A Novel, Unbury Our Dead With Song, etc.
• All 2021 Memorials
Please prepare a (1) basic title, (2) an abstract that describes the session and confirms its timeliness, (3) the format, (4) the names and affiliations of each presenter, (5) the duration of the session, and (6) your preferred date and time. We will do our best to accommodate your preferences.
AfricaNow! sessions will not be peer-reviewed and submissions of formal panels and papers will not be accepted in this format. The participation rules do not apply to AfricaNow! sessions. Presenters who are already on the program may submit proposals. Abstracts that were already submitted prior to the submission deadline cannot be resubmitted for AfricaNow! consideration. All requests for sessions will be reviewed by the ASA Secretariat for general appropriateness.
The AfricaNow! submission portal via OpenWater typically opens in August and closes in September annually.